ANIMAL AGRICULTURE TRUTHS
Climate change is a scientific fact and it’s a proven fact that farm animals contribute more greenhouse gases to the atmosphere than all cars, planes, trains, buses and ships.
Here are some animal agriculture truths:
- While 13% of global greenhouse gas emissions are caused by transport (including road, rail, air and marine), a whopping 51% are from livestock and their byproducts.
- The meat and dairy industries use 1/3 of earth’s fresh water.
- 1-2 acres of rainforest are cleared every second.
- 91% of Amazon destruction is caused by animal agriculture.
- Every minute, 7 million pounds of excrement are produced by animals raised for food in the US.
- Livestock covers 45% of the earth’s TOTAL land.
- To feed one person for one year, a meat eater needs 18 times as much land as a vegan person.
- 5 acres of land can be used to make 37 000 pounds of plant-based food or just 375 pounds of meat.
- For every 1 pound of fish caught, 5 pounds of unintended marine species are caught and discarded as by-kill.
- A plant-based diet (aka vegan) cuts your carbon footprint by 50%.