A robust, hearty meat-free meatloaf that will have you going back for seconds! It’s perfect for dinner parties, special occasions or just to impress your meat-eating friends!
2 cans of chickpeas
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 carrots, finely sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups breadcrumbs
½ cup plain (unsweetened) almond milk
2½ tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2½ tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
½ teaspoon ground sage (we used a handful of fresh sage leaves)
½ teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the glaze:
¼ cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon paprika (preferably smoked paprika)
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. Lightly oil a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Please all the meatloaf ingredients into a large bowl and mix together.
- Place the loaf mixture into a food processor in batches and process until almost smooth – you want it to be slightly chunky. Place each batch into the oiled loaf pan as you go along.
- Smooth out the top of the mixture in the pan and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Whisk together all the glaze ingredients, except for the sesame seeds.
- After 30 minutes of baking, remove the loaf from the oven and smooth the glaze over the top.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.