Move over Jackfruit, we’ve found a new favourite – banana blossoms! Much like Jackfruit in texture, they are a great substitute for meat dishes such as chicken or pulled pork.
This warm salad is absolutely delicious (and even better the next day when the spices really come through) and it’ll fool any meat-eater out there too.
1 can of Banana Blossom in brine (260g drained)
1 spoon of coconut oil (if the oil is not set, use 2 spoons of oil)
1 x onion, diced
Lime juice from 1 lime
4 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 tablespoons fresh coriander, plus extra to serve
Sriracha sauce to taste
- Drain the banana blossom and wash it it well.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add the coconut oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook until soft and transluscent.
- Add the spices and cook for a further minute.
- Add in the banana blossoms and soy sauce and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Taste and add spices and Sriracha sauce to taste.
We enjoyed this salad in a wholewheat bun, but you could also serve it with a green salad or on rice.