These are possibly the best burgers we have ever had! They are ridiculously delicious and also ridiculously easy to make. Trust us, once you’ve eaten these, you’ll keep using this recipe!
(Makes 4 large burger patties)
400g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
1 cup butternut / pumpkin, peeled and cut into cubes
250g cooked brown rice
1 x tin black beans (400g)
2 tablespoons plain flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Put the sweet potato cubes and butternut / pumpkin cubes onto a baking tray and bake until cooked (approximately 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile peel and mince the onion and then fry in a little oil for about 10 minutes, until soft. Transfer the onion into a large bowl and wipe out the frying pan.
- Place the baked sweet potato, baked butternut / pumpkin into a food processor with the brown rice and whizz into a mash. Add the drained black beans and repeat. Add the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika and flour to the mix and whizz into a thick paste.
- Add the paste to the bowl with the onions and mix it all together.
- Heat oil in the pan and form the burger mix into four patties (or six smaller ones) using your hands to shape them.
- Fry the burger patties for three minutes on each side until golden.
- Serve on burger buns with onions (we used fried onions), tomato, and lettuce with vegan mayonnaise and tomato sauce (ketchup).
If you really want to be decadent, add some slices of vegan cheese to your burger!