New research has revealed that 1 in 5 people in Britain think chicken eggs and goats milk are vegan.
A HelloFresh survey found that 22% of Brits think goat’s milk is vegan and 20% believe chicken eggs are suitable for a plant-based diet
Researchers quizzed 2,004 UK adults with questions related to their food sources and understanding of vegan products. Participants were asked to choose the correct descriptions of certain foods from a list of options.
The results revealed some stunning misconceptions:
- One fifth claimed goat’s milk was vegan because it wasn’t from cows.
- 20% of 18-34 year-olds thought vegans could consume chicken eggs.
- One in 10 people assumed tofu is a mushroom variant.
- One fifth thought veal came from a deer rather than a calf.
- 20% were unaware of seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- 11% thought tea was mostly grown in the UK.
- 4.2% thought bacon was prepared from cows.
The study also found that 50% of participants were unable to cook basic meals such as smashed avocado on toast, lasagne or a basic curry. Also, 22% admitted they couldn’t put together a traditional Sunday roast.
“It’s surprising to see that some of the most popular foods, as well as things that Brits have always held dear to them, are difficult for people to cook from scratch and they struggle with knowing where it’s from or when it’s in season,” said HelloFresh’s head chef Andre Dupin.
Original source: www.totallyveganbuzz.com