A yummy, easy-to-make vegan Eggplant and Chickpea Curry, served with poppadoms.
2 eggplants cubed
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of black mustard seeds
1 Curry leaf
2 red onions finely chopped
2 dried chillies finely chopped
4 tsps of garam masala
2 tsps ground cumin
2 tsps turmeric
400ml tin coconut milk
400g tinned tomatoes
400g tinned chickpeas
½ cup coriander
- Fry the eggplant in a dry pan over high heat until caramelised on all sides – set aside.
- Heat oil in the pan over medium heat and fry the mustard seeds and curry leaf.
- Add the onions and saute until soft.
- Add the chillies and spices and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and let it simmer for 30 minutes until thick and reduced.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan heat a bit of oil and fry the poppadoms until crispy, or brush some oil on them and pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the eggplant and chickpeas to curry pot. Stir well and let it stand with the lid closed on a very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve with the poppadoms.