MEDITERRANEAN MARINATED VEGETABLES
This colourful dish is not only perfect for hot summer days (or nights), it’s also easy to make and so good for you! Don’t let the long list of ingredients put you off, most of them will be found in your pantry.
5 cups broccoli florets
5 cups cauliflower florets
1 cup sliced green beans
1 large red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 medium cucumber, chopped
2 cups red cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
2 cups yellow cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
4 cloves garlic
2 cups black olives
Handful of fresh basil leaves
1 can chickpeas – optional (if you want to make it a more substantial meal)
1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar (white)
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil.
- Place a large bowl of ice water next to the stove.
- Cook broccoli, cauliflower and beans in the boiling water, one vegetable at a time for 1 – 3 minutes. Spoon out when done to the ice water.
- Drain vegetables and place in a large bowl.
- Add tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumber, olives and onions.
- Mix the marinade and spoon over all.
- Put in the fridge to cool overnight. Stir occasionally to ensure everything is covered in the marinade.
- Before serving, cut up fresh basil leaves and add to the dish.