These are so simple and economical to make! No fake meat here – just fresh vegetables and beans in a brown onion soup, topped with vegan puff pastry. Comfort food (that’s also good for you) at its best!
1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
A handful of baby tomatoes
1 cup button mushrooms, sliced (or leave whole if small)
2 cups mixed fresh vegetables (we used broccoli, baby marrows, green beans, carrot rounds, chopped brinjal and sliced patty pans)
200g canned bean mix
1 packet brown onion soup
1 packet vegan puff pastry
Oil for frying
- Fry the diced onions until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, aubergine chunks and garlic and fry for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Toss in the rest of the fresh vegetables and add boiling water to cover.
- Mix the brown onion soup with some cold water to dissolve and add to the pot.
- Add the bean mix.
- Leave to simmer until the vegetables are cooked (don’t overcook)
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut to size of the dish you are using. We used four small oven-proof dishes for individual servings, but you can also use one large oven-proof dish.
- Fill the dish (or dishes) with the vegetable and brown onion gravy mixture.
- Top with the pastry (poke a few holes to allow steam to escape) and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and flaky.
Goes very well with Roasted Root Vegetables in Turmeric Milk side dish!